Veterans | Lada's Mortuaries

VA Benefits and Service Information

We know it can be difficult to understand all the benefits available for veterans from the US Department of Veterans Affairs. We have compiled much of the basic information for you below. Don't worry, we are here to assist you every step of the way from helping to determine eligibility, to scheduling and applying for benefits. 

9 Basic Things to Know about Veterans Burial Benefits

1.The VA does not offer mortuary, funeral or cremation services.Many people think that VA Benefits include mortuary services, they do not. While some benefits may include partial transportation costs, generally a family needs to select a private mortuary to help arrange all the funeral or cremation services.

2. The VA does offer "Burial" benefits to eligible veterans.Burial in a National Cemetery is available at no cost based on eligibility. There may be limited benefits in a private cemetery such as a $700 plot allowance again based on eligibility but will more often require additional cost such as "interment fees" depending on the cemetery of choice.

3. Who is eligible for VA Burial Benefits?a. Veterans and Members of the Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard)

            (1)  Any member of the Armed Forces of the United States who dies on active duty.            (2)  Any Veteran who was discharged under conditions other than dishonorable.  With certain exceptions, service beginning after September 7, 1980, as an enlisted person, and service after October 16, 1981, as an officer, must be for a minimum of 24 continuous months or the full period for which the person was called to active duty (as in the case of a Reservist called to active duty for a limited duration).  Undesirable, bad conduct, and any other type of discharge other than honorable may or may not qualify the individual for Veterans benefits, depending upon a determination made by a VA Regional Office.  Cases presenting multiple discharges of varying character are also referred for adjudication to a VA Regional Office.             (3)  Any citizen of the United States who, during any war in which the United States has or may be engaged, served in the Armed Forces of any Government allied with the United States during that war, whose last active service was terminated honorably by death or otherwise, and who was a citizen of the United States at the time of entry into such service and at the time of death.

b.  Members of Reserve Components and Reserve Officers’ Training Corps

More details are available at

4. You will need verification of service, (DD-214) Discharge paperThe main job of the National Scheduling Office is to determine eligibility. The easiest way is to supply the veteran's dd-214 discharge papers when scheduling for interment in a national cemetery. At Lada's Mortuaries, we will make this request for you. However, if no discharge papers can be located, the VA will place a "search" on the service record. This "search" may delay verification. If a replacement discharge is needed, we will assist you in requesting an "expedited" copy.5. Military Honors are not automatic, they need to be scheduled.At Lada's Mortuaries we will make the request for you. Many people think "Honors" means a full detail with a 21 gun salute, this is usually not the case except in certain circumstances. It is more likely to have 2 persons in the honor detail to fold the flag and render "Taps". It is all up to the branch of service and the honor guard team available at the time.

6. Burial flags are no automatic, they must be requested and procured.At Lada's Mortuaries we will fill out the request and obtain the burial flag for you through the local US post office at no charge.7. A Presidential Memorial Certificate is not automatic, it must be requested.At Lada's Mortuaries we will fill out the request and obtain the certificate for you at no charge.8. Headstone or Memorial Markers are not automatic, it must be requested.At Lada's Mortuaries we will provide and assist you in completing this request. In a private cemetery there may still be fees associated with the placement of the headstone.9. Replacement of service medals, awards and decorations are not automatic,                  they must be requested.

Requests must be made in writing to the correct branch of the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) using form #180. For more info call 1-866-272-6272 or visit the NPRC website at